Selling your home can be an arduous experience, even in the most competitive housing market.
Unless you plan to sell directly to a cash buyer, then it’s a much easier process. But if you want to navigate the open real estate market, ensuring that your listing is extraordinary and appealing enough for potential buyers is essential.
Selling a house is no small feat, but putting in the effort and time to efficiently market your property online can pay off. Still, to increase the chances of generating interest, it may be beneficial for sellers to employ creative strategies beyond just online efforts.
These 9 creative ways to sell a house can help you get your desired results while making the home-selling process less stodgy.
How Can You Sell Your House Creatively?
Home improvements can expedite turning viewings into interested buyers, offers, and an increased selling price.
Home staging is a valuable tool that lets buyers envision themselves in your house, showcases its finer points, masks any detriments, and makes it look beautiful in pictures.
People look for inspiration when they buy real estate, not just measurable space and number of rooms. You should create a narrative that paints an inviting picture of what life would be like in the home. Utilize this type of storytelling to help potential buyers envision themselves living there – it’ll increase your chances of closing those deals.
Different Creative Ways to Sell Your House
If you’re a homeowner looking to sell your house fast, it can be difficult with so much competition. However, selling your home doesn’t have to take forever; there are ways that you can make sure yours stands out from the rest and is sold as soon as possible.
Here is a list of nine creative ways to sell your house:
(1) Advertise Creatively
Craft a unique story of what life is like in the home through your marketing.
Strong MLS listings are critical. If you want to draw in leads, your real estate listing and MLS descriptions (either through a real estate agent or For Sale By Owner (FSBO)) must be impactful; crafting compelling listings is critical. Include the standout features with vivid descriptions to make your property listing stand out. Add photos highlighting its one-of-a-kind qualities to catch potential buyers’ attention.
Professional photos are invaluable. Ensure your photos appear precisely how you want and support your home’s listing. Carefully curate them for optimal presentation and more attention from potential homebuyers.
Virtual tours are incredible. Video walkthroughs are the ultimate way to create a memorable, engaging experience for potential buyers. With virtual tours, you can accentuate unique home features. You also have the opportunity to tap into a homebuyer’s feelings with music or a compelling story that will encourage them to take the next step.
(2) Redecorating Your House to Make It Stand Out
A good first impression is crucial when attracting potential buyers, as a judgment takes seconds to form. That judgment takes place at the front door.
Maximize your curb appeal. Transform the exterior of your home into an attractive oasis with a power-washed driveway and path, as well as some aesthetically pleasing decorations and landscaping. Place a new mat by the door while updating any worn door furniture. If you are lucky enough to have a front garden, spruce it up with plants and keep it neat for maximum effect.
Declutter and depersonalize. Make sure your interior design sets the right tone from the onset. Get rid of the mess in your home to create a more spacious, inviting environment for potential buyers. The fewer items you have around, the larger and brighter each room will look – helping to make your house stand out. Help buyers visualize themselves living in your home by depersonalizing and removing all personal items, such as family photographs.
Give your rooms a purpose. Make sure each room in your home has a solitary and precise function, even if that’s different from what you currently use it for. Suppose you’re utilizing a living room to hang laundry or as overflow storage; clean it up and clarify its purpose.
Refresh the paint. Applying a fresh coat of neutral paint to your walls can make a remarkable difference in the size and feel of your space—not to mention it will undoubtedly increase market value and final sale price.
(3) Advertise the Quirky Parts of the House
Virtual videos effectively advertise your house’s quirky parts or best features and are a strong marketing strategy. Photos provide an effective medium for expression. However, videos allow you to showcase your creativity and imagination.
For example, If your property has a lush and expansive backyard, captivate potential buyers with an aerial shot from the sky with a drone. This unique perspective will showcase just how awe-inspiring your property truly is. You can hire a professional videographer to highlight your property’s features, thus increasing its marketability and asking price.
(4) Make Your House Stand Out
Instead of the carefully curated and antiseptic staging process, consider showing your potential buyers what living in your home may look like.
Prospective buyers may have difficulty picturing themselves settling in your home if it appears too clean and perfect. Put your energy into selling the real-life lifestyle that comes with this property. For instance, you can share a candid photo of your kids enjoying the backyard by playing with your dog or having a family cookout.
(5) One-Time Promotion for Potential Buyers
Think about items you can include with your home as incentives or freebies. The buyer might like your home office setup, or you have furniture or a home gym that the buyer wants; you could include those items to sweeten the pot and close the deal.
(6) Use the Power of Social Media
Social media is a powerful tool to help you get the most out of your marketing efforts. From boosting awareness and engagement to creating an audience for your listings, utilizing social media can be a game-changer in generating leads.
Facebook marketing campaigns can be comprehensive and extensive.
- Create a Facebook event to share invites to your open house.
- Highlight your home’s photos and videos with an album.
- Supplement your MLS listing with Facebook Marketplace and real estate advertising.
Instagram allows you to create stunning listing photos.
- Integrate Instagram with Facebook.
- Tag your photos with your listing location.
- Use hashtags and descriptions to drive engagement.
Twitter promotes your home creatively.
- Use photos, videos, and links to your other social media to get noticed.
- Local hashtags reach local market buyers.
- Advertising on Twitter may boost help you reach more potential homebuyers.
(7) Meet the Neighbors
As you prepare to move, now is the best time to form meaningful relationships with your neighbors. They’ve got something to gain when you sell your house and could know some people who would love to live in your neighborhood.
Host a gathering for your neighbors. Pop open some bubbly, offer pleasant hors d’oeuvres, and politely explain that you’re selling your home soon. Urge them to spread the news far and wide.
(8) Market Your Home Online
With its immense popularity, Craigslist is widely considered one of America’s best real estate marketing destinations. Their all-encompassing platform is a good For Sale by Owner (FSBO) marketplace for promoting real estate properties worldwide.
Zillow, the premier real estate organization in America, offers one of the most inventive ways to market your home for sale. Zillow has influenced the home selling process, providing exposure to listed properties with their free For Sale By Owner (FSBO) option. With Zillow, you now have a unique opportunity to showcase your property without breaking the bank.
You should also create a profile on real estate websites such as Trulia and Realtor.com — two of the many options available! These services can give you an edge in attracting more buyers or renters to check out what you have to offer.
(9) Sell Your House To a Cash Buyer
Selling your house to a cash buyer typically includes contacting a company who dispatches a team to take your information and gather details about your home.
Working with these companies is beneficial because you can sell your home as-is – meaning there is no need to renovate or remodel. This provides a great sense of relief since the process can be both costly and time-consuming. You can easily walk away from your house after a successful sale to the buyer.
Home sales are effortless when no repairs, tidying up, improvements, or renovations are necessary. You don’t have to deal with a buyer’s agent or pay a commission. These companies can provide a fast house sale if you’re a homeowner needing quick cash.
With We Buy Houses For Cash, you don’t have to fret over selling your home. The process is easy and stress-free so that you can have peace of mind every step of the way.
14 Tips For Getting Your House Ready To Sell
You attract potential buyers and increase your chances of selling your home quickly with a solid plan and execution. Here are 14 tips to help you get your home ready to sell:
Decluttering and staging
- Start with decluttering your home.
- Clear out as much space as possible to make the home appear more spacious and inviting to potential buyers.
- After decluttering, start staging your home. A clean house helps buyers envision living in the space and focus on the home’s best features.
- Ensure every room has a clear purpose and remove distractions that don’t add to the room’s appeal.
Repairs and upgrades
- Before listing your home, you must make any necessary repairs and upgrades.
- Fix leaky faucets, replace broken appliances or fixtures, and address any structural issues that may deter buyers.
- A fresh coat of paint gives your home a polished look.
- Consider upgrading your kitchen or bathroom to add greater appeal to the property.
- Your home’s exterior is the first thing potential buyers will see, so it’s important to make an excellent first impression.
- Invest in landscaping, tidy the yard, remove any debris or clutter around the home’s entrance, and power wash the house’s exterior.
- Make sure your front door looks great.
- Repaint and fix issues like loose handles or hinges, so they know the property is well maintained.
Marketing and selling
- Ensure you list your home on all the popular real estate websites and provide high-quality photographs.
- Host open houses and viewings so potential buyers see your home in person.
By following these tips, you should maximize the appeal of your home and attract potential buyers.
Comprehensive Guide to Selling Your House Effectively
You can sell your home in various ways, and each method has unique advantages and disadvantages. Here are the pros and cons for the most popular selling methods:
Traditional sales involve hiring an agent to list your house on the Multiple Listing Service (MLS) and handling the transaction process. The agent charges a commission fee of around 6%, paid by the seller.
- The agent provides market knowledge and advice on pricing and marketing strategies.
- The agent handles negotiations on behalf of the seller.
- Traditional sales usually result in a higher sale price since the agent ensures the property receives maximum exposure.
- The process can be slow, taking several months to complete.
- The seller has to pay a considerable commission fee.
- Buyers may request repairs or upgrades, causing delays and additional expenses for the seller.
FSBO (For Sale By Owner)
FSBO, or “For Sale By Owner,” refers to selling your property without involving a real estate agent, which can save you money on commission fees.
- The seller has more control over the sale, including pricing and marketing strategies.
- The seller must keep the commission fee that would have gone to the agent.
- The process can be faster, with no intermediary involved.
- The seller has to handle all aspects of the sale, including pricing, marketing, and negotiations.
- The seller may not have access to market data and statistics.
- FSBOs usually sell for less than traditional sales since buyers expect a discount when dealing directly with the seller.
iBuyers are companies that purchase properties directly from homeowners, typically offering cash transactions.
- iBuyers offer fast and convenient transactions, usually closing within a few days.
- The sale is more predictable than other methods since iBuyers offer upfront cash.
- The seller can avoid repairs or upgrades, as iBuyers typically purchase properties as-is.
- iBuyers usually offer less money than other methods since they need to profit from the resale.
- The process can be expensive, with iBuyers charging service fees and commissions.
- iBuyers are only available in select markets.
Trade-ins involve selling your old house to a new home builder and using the profit towards purchasing a new home.
- The seller can avoid the hassle of the traditional sale process by directly trading in their old home for a new one.
- The seller can benefit from buying a brand-new home rather than dealing with repairs and maintenance expenses.
- Trade-ins often result in lower sale prices since the builder needs to factor in their profit.
- The seller may need more control over the sale price of their old home since it’s often part of the deal for the new purchase.
- Trade-ins are only available for new home purchases.
Cash buyers are individuals or companies that purchase properties directly from homeowners, usually providing all-cash transactions.
- Cash buyers offer fast and convenient transactions, usually closing within a few days.
- The sale is more predictable than other methods since cash buyers offer upfront.
- The seller can avoid repairs or upgrades, as cash buyers typically purchase properties as-is.
- Cash buyers usually offer less money than other methods since they need to profit from the resale.
- The process can be expensive, with cash buyers charging service fees and commissions.
- Cash buyers are not available in all markets.
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Selling Strategy
When choosing a selling strategy, there are several factors to consider:
- Your timeline: How fast do you need to sell your house?
- The state of the local market: What are the current trends in your local real estate market?
- Your desired sale price: How much money do you need to make from the sale, and how does that compare to market conditions?
When traditional sales tactics fail to produce the desired outcomes, it can be disheartening and discouraging. You may even have more success with an alternative approach. So don’t be afraid to try something new and see how it works.
To successfully market and sell a house, creativity is essential. Thinking non traditionally with strategies is key for getting potential buyers excited about your offering. To truly understand the customer, the seller must empathize with them and gain insight into their motivations.
Utilizing these creative strategies will help promote your house, but you must select realistic ideas. By putting into effect such methods, your listing is sure to stand out from others.